- Resident, Orthopedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, 1981-1985
- Internship in General Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center; Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1981
- University of Minnesota Medical School, M.D. 1980
- United States Air Force Academy, Colorado; Aeronautical Engineering, B.S. 1969
- Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery
- North American Spine Society, 1992 - Present
- American Back Society, 1992 - Present
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 1992 - Present
- Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, 1989 - Present
- Minnesota Orthopedic Society, 1985 - Present
- Past Member, Ramsey County Medical Society
- Past Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- “Limitations of Ender's Nails in the Stabilization of Femoral Shaft Fractures.” Presented at the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons 1985 Annual Meeting.
- “The Efficacy of Isokinetic Rehabilitation on Disease of the Lumbar Spine.” Presented in Tokyo, Japan, January 1988. Japanese Symposium on Lumbar Disease.
- “Rehabilitation of the Cervical Spine.” Spinal Rehab Update 1991. Sponsored by The University of Florida College of Medicine. September 1991.
- “Clinical Results: A Two Year Review.” Spine and Strength Symposium. Sponsored by the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. July 1992.
- “13 Month Clinical Follow-Up on 1000 patients: What Happens to the Exercise Rehabilitation Patient after Discharge?” Exercise Rehabilitation of the Spine: Update '93. Sponsored by the University of Florida College of Medicine. July 1993.
- “Quantitative Assessment." Back Pain '93. Sponsored by Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke 's Medical Center and Skol Publishing.
- “Testing and Exercise Training of the Isolated Lumbar and Cervical Spine.” American Back Society Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Dec 1993.
- “Strength Training for spondylolisthesis, acute disc syndromes, spinal stenosis, and degenerative spinal disease.” Spine and Strength Symposium. Sponsored by The University of California, San Diego. July 1994.
- “Treatment of Surgical Candidates With Aggressive Strengthening: Results in a Group of 140 Cervical and Lumbar Patients.” Exercise Rehabilitation of the Spine: Update ‘95. Sponsored by the University of Florida College of Medicine. April 1995.
- “Resistance Training and Back Health.” American College of Sports Medicine 42nd Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, Mn. June 1995.
- “Preventing Spinal Surgery by Using Aggressive Exercise: Results of a Prospective Study with 421 Patients.” International Congress on Chronic Low Back Pain. Wurzburg, Germany. Mar 1996.
- “Treating Cervical and Lumbar Surgical Candidates With Intensive, Specific Exercise Instead of Surgery: Results in 421 Patients.” Comprehensive Spine and Joint Care - From Exercise To Outcome. University of California, San Diego, Department of Orthopedics. La Jolla, California. July 1996.
- “Can Spine Surgery Be Prevented With Aggressive Exercise? A Prospective Study.” North American Spine Society Annual Meeting. Vancouver, British Columbia. November 1997.
- “A Revolutionary Approach to Back Injury Prevention.” Blue Cross Blue Shield 3rd Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Symposium. Minneapolis, MN. Oct 1998.
- “Can Industrial Back Injuries Really be Prevented?” 13th Annual Low Back Pain Symposium. Las Vegas, Nev. Jun 1999.
- “Preventing Spinal Surgery With Aggressive Exercise.” International Congress on Spinal Disease. Cologne, Germany. March 2000.
- “Results of Back Injury Prevention in the Airline Industry.” Minnesota Safety Council Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN. May 2001.
- "Optimal Strength Training: Things You Haven't Been Taught". Northern Chapter American College of Sports Medicine. St. Cloud. MN. April 2005.
- "A Comparison of Osteoclastic Activating Factor Activity in Diabetics vs. Non- Diabetics". BW Nelson, 1980 (unpublished).
- "Sometimes the Good Guys Win". BW Nelson. Medical Economics. Volume 69, No. 2. January 20, 1992.
- "Spinal Care in the 1990's". BW Nelson. Minnesota Physician. Volume 6, No.8. November 1992.
- "Breakthrough For Back Pain". WV Zucker and BW Nelson. Lester, Street Publishing. Copyright 1992.
- "A Rational Approach to the Treatment of Low Back Pain". BW Nelson. Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine. May 1993 Vo. 10, No. 5.
- “The Clinical Effects of Intensive, Specific Exercise on Chronic Low-Back Pain: A Controlled Study of 895 Consecutive Patients with One Year Follow-Up.” BW Nelson, EJ O’Reilly, M Miller, et. al. Orthopedics 18(10): 971-981; October 1995.
- “Worker’s Comp: What’s Gone Wrong?” BW Nelson and JA Wegner Minnesota Physician. Volume 9, No. 7. October 1999
- “ Management of Back Pain in Athletes.” TE Dreisinger and BW Nelson. Sports Medicine. 21(4): 313-320. April 1996.
- "Climate of Distrust.” BW Nelson. Minnesota Physician. October 1997.
- “Redesigning the American Workplace.” BW Nelson, DM Carpenter, TE Dreisinger. Rehab Management. Oct/Nov 1998.
- “Can Spinal Surgery be Prevented by Aggressive Strengthening Exercises? A Prospective Study of Cervical and Lumbar Patients.” BW Nelson, DM Carpenter, TE Dreisinger, M Mitchell, CE Kelly, JA Wegner. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Vol 80: pp. 20-25. 1999.
- “Low back strengthening for the prevention and treatment of low back pain.” DM Carpenter, BW Nelson. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 18-24,1999.
- “Restorative Exercise for Clinical Low Back Pain.” S Leggett, V Mooney, L Matheson, BW Nelson, T Dresisinger, J Van Zytveld, L Vie. Spine 24 (9): 889-898. May 1999.
- “Treatment Overload.” BW Nelson and A Coulter. Minnesota Physician. Vol. 13, No. 3. Jun 1999. April 2001.
- “A Randomized Clinical Trial of Exercise and Spinal Manipulation for Chronic Neck Pain.” G Bronfort, DC, PhD, RoniEvans,DC,BW Nelson, MD,PD Aker,DC, MSc, CH Goldsmith, PhD, BW Nelson, H Vernon, DC, Spine 26 (7): 788- 799.April 2001.
- “Two-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial of spinal manipulation and two types of exercise for patients with chronic neck pain.” G Bronfort, DC, PhD, Roni Evans, DC, BW Nelson, MD, PD Aker, DC, MSc, CH Goldsmith, PhD, BW Nelson, H Vernon, DC. Spine, Vol. 27 (21): 2383-2389. April 2002.
- “Outcomes Revolution: The Value of Meaningful Data.” BW Nelson, Minnesota Physician, Vol. 19, No. 1, Apr 2005.